butter lettuce beet salad
Many of our recipes are born from oversupply of certain crops from the garden–in this case beautiful beets and butter lettuce. We love this salad–and even if you think you don’t like beets (as a former beet-hater myself), I’d recommend you give this one a try.
- 4-5 orange or golden Beets
- 1/2 cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
- 1-2 heads butter lettuce
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Lemon
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Tear or cut the beet tops from the beets, leaving about an inch of stalk attached. Wash and thoroughly dry the beets.
- Place beets on a roasting pan or a flat baking pan or sheet pan. Drizzle with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Roast for 30-45 minutes, depending on size and the desired doneness. Test for doneness after about 30 minutes of cooking by piercing the largest beet with a knife. If the knife easily enters the beet with only a small amount of resistance, it’s done. And the smaller ones will be, too.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes or so.
- Slip the skins off the beats by hand. They should slip off easily, but you can use a pairing knife on any stubborn spots. Just be careful not to cut way too much beet.
- Cut the beets into 1/2″ cubes and toss in a stainless steel mixing bowl with enough olive oil to coat them.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice of about half of it into the bowl, gently stirring to combine and checking the flavor as you go.
- Season to taste with kosher salt.
- Whisk together 3 tbsp. of olive oil and 1 tbsp. of lemon juice in a large bowl. Add the butter lettuce and toss.
- Top the butter lettuce with the beet mixture and crumbled feta cheese. Serve right away.
Courtesy of culinaryarts.about.com.