grilled cheese with fruit, pesto and dijon mustard
If I had to pick just one thing for Chef Margie to make for us, it might be this simple but delicious sandwich she cooked up. Great bread is a crucial ingredient so be picky about your bread choice. Serve this with one (or both!) of the salads above and you will have a very happy crowd.
- 8 slices Nine Grain Bread (no less than 1/2″ thick)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons Basil Puree (optional recipe below)
- 1 large Apple or Pear thinly sliced
- 12 ounces Cheese, grated (Preferably Point Reyes Toma, but another good melting cheese like Gruyere, Cheddar, or Gouda is okay)
- Softened Butter
- Spread 4 slices of bread with 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard.
- Spread 4 slices of bread with pesto (if you do not use pesto, use mustard).
- Top 4 slices of bread with apples and cheese.
- Cover with second piece of bread.
- Butter top and bottom slices of bread with softened butter.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat (you can also use a panini press if you have one).
- Add sandwich and cook until bottom piece of bread is golden-brown.
- Flip sandwiches and cook until cheese is melted (briefly cover the pan to get the cheese to melt).
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 2 cups Basil Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Pulverize the oil in a blender.
- Add basil leaves in 3 separate handfuls and puree.
- Add salt, puree until smooth.
Courtesy of Margie Kriebel, Local Flavor.